Chakrasana Sanskrit word it means “wheel pose“, it is also known as “Urdva Dhanurasana“. Urdva Dhanurasana is Sanskrit word means “Upward Facing Bow pose“.
It is a challenging back bending Yoga Posture and this is the last asana in the Primary Series of Ashtanga. In wheel pose, front body is pressed in an upward position and the spine is arched Backward with the hand and feet on the ground. This posture first starts from a supine position or through a less rigorous supine backbend, such as Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose). This asana gives very good flexibility to the spine. In acrobatics and gymnastics terms, this asana is known as a back bridge.
1. Lie down back with your feet on the floor. Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor. Bend your elbows and spread your palms on the floor beside your head.
2. pressing your feet on the floor, exhale and make your tailbone upward. Make sure your thighs and inner feet parallel. Take 2 or 3 breaths. Then firmly press the inner hands into the floor and your shoulder blades against the back and lift upward. Keep your arms parallel. Take 2 or 3 breaths.
3. Make your head toward the floor and your arms should be straight.
4. Turn the upper arms outward but keep the weight on the bases of the index fingers. Spread the shoulder blades across the back and let the head hang, or lift it slightly to look down at the floor.
5. Hold this pose 5 to 10 seconds or more, breathing easily. Repeat anywhere from 3 to 10 times.
Benefits of Upward Facing Bow Pose
- Strengthens liver, pancreas, and kidneys.
- Excellent for the heart.
- Good for infertility, asthma, and osteoporosis.
- Strengthens arms, shoulders, hands, wrists, and legs.
- Stretches the chest and lungs
- Strengthens the arms and wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen, and spine
- Stimulates the thyroid and pituitary glands.
- Increases energy and counteracts depression.
- This asana also gives strength to your legs, abdomen, buttocks, spine, shoulder blades, glutes, hamstrings, lower back, wrists, and arms.
- It cures infertility, asthma, and osteoporosis.
- It also relieves stress and reduces depression, and makes you feel energetic and full of life.
- Back injury
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- A headache
- Heart problems
- High or low blood pressure